Tuesday, December 29, 2015

My Son Is a Great Example, Thank You


This has been bothering me for an entire week…

My first reaction was to scream into a pillow about how asinine people can be. Then I wanted to post something on Facebook, but I didn’t want to embarrass my son (who is no longer active on Facebook but his friends are).  And it was only about a week ago that I made a #yesallwomen post on Facebook about an ass that catcalled my 23-year-old daughter in a suburban neighborhood and followed her for about a quarter mile in his truck.  I didn’t want to start to look like a ranting mom.

But damn it, this is really bugging the s#!@ out of me.  So, I’m sharing here.

First you need to know that my son, who is 20 years old now, is genuinely a nice guy. I was going through old report cards and teacher notes as I winnow down paper files, and the theme was consistent:  “…nice, quiet boy who perhaps takes too much too heart, very sensitive. Lots of friends. Happy child.”

Okay, so, there you go.  That’s my son in a nutshell.

Then there’s this:

He and I were just casually chatting about the world and how people can be real jerks sometimes.  Then he and my daughter, who both worked in a local supermarket (he has for the last 3.5 years, she only could stand it for about a month), said, “Mom, you have no idea of how often the people around here (West Windsor, NJ and Newtown, PA) are rude and condescending.” And then they each proceeded to tell me a string of “bad customer” stories.  His included a few doozies, including one where customer threw a loaf of bread at one of his friends behind the bakery counter because she didn’t know where to find capers.  The guy threw a loaf of bread at her and called her a “stupid bitch.”

I myself worked in a supermarket, a different one, as a part-time job when my full-time job wasn’t paying me enough to live on early in my career, and I do remember how rude some people can be.  So I started to tell both of my kids that yes, there are a lot of rude people, but so many more people who are nice, but we tend not to remember or remark on the nice ones, because, thank goodness, they are in the majority, and we only remember what is terrible and unusual.

And then my son shares this:

“Well, you’re probably right, but when I was just starting working at the store, and was going to school and working there, some man pointed at me and said to his daughter, ‘Do well in school or you’ll wind up like him.’”

So, my son, who was working to save money (he was in high school at the time) while going to school was made an example of what not to do.  There are sooooo many things wrong with that-- it makes my blood boil.

First, and most personally, my son takes things to heart, even when he says he doesn’t. I’m sure that while he says the man made him angry, there was a part of him that was hurt, too.

Second, who the hell puts down someone working for a living?  When is someone working EVER a bad example?

Third, I have a number of friends who work in retail. The snobbery inherent in the comment made by that man is disgusting.  I wonder what he does for a living that has warped his brain to the point that he believes it is correct to look down on someone and, worse, share his stupidity aloud.

Fourth, what a terrible father he is.  If his daughter was older, she was surely embarrassed, or should have been, by his commentary. If she was younger, what a sad example she has for a father.  Poor kid either way.

Fifth, and on a more positive note, this story made me think of my own father. He had a tough life. His father died when he was very young, during WWII. His mother had to send my dad and his siblings off to live with relatives while she found a job and had money to support them. According to stories he shared over the years, during that time he lived without a lot of supervision.  He met a lot of people, some down on their luck, a few very well off, and a lot in between, though mostly not well off.  Remember, it was during the Depression years. He was exposed to all kinds of people and their behaviors during a tough time in our nation’s history and in his own. 

Yet, my father came out of it all with a true appreciation for individuals and the paths they take, the choices they make, and how their lives evolve.  He always said to me, “I don’t care what you do for a living, just do it well.”  (I love too that he taught me early on that I could have a career—pretty ahead of his time.) 

He would talk with the garbage truck drivers as easily as his colleagues at the office. He would show equal respect to police officers, street sweepers, and doctors.  I grew up really truly believing that every job exists for a reason and that people gravitate to work they can enjoy and feel good about.


So, I promise not to rant to often about the stuff that happens to my kids as they become adults and have to deal with the crap the rest of us are dealing with on a daily basis.  But I couldn’t keep from commenting about the jerk in the supermarket who had no right to make my son feel less than when, in fact, my son is so much more than.  

My son is a very handy example of a real man.  I’m proud of him everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment